From the second floor, we could go to the third floor by three ways, first, the main stair in the center of the building, or the servants’ stair, as most of the servants’ rooms are in the upper floor, and the last, we could use the elevator, which was renovated from the original one but still takes the same place and with the same design.
Stairs to Towers: the highest point of the castle, from where we can see a scenic and beautiful view of the city.
Some of the rooms in the third floor were never completed, and now become Queen’s own rifles museum. Sir Henry was a dedicated supporter of the Queen’s Own Rifles, achieving the rank of Major General. The regiment’s band was often engaged to entertain guests at the castle. In 1910 Sir Henry took the entire 600-man regiment to England for military games at his expense. In the rooms, there are some medals, uniforms, old photos, and even equipment that Sir Henry used to use.
Coronation Chair: showing stone of scone reminding us of queens scottish ancestry , This is an exact replica of coronation chain in Westminster Abbey and shows names carved by the westminster scoolboys in 18th century
The Kiwanis Room: This room tells the remarkable story of the Kiwanis Club’s restoration and operation of Casa Loma since 1937. Proceeds from the castle go to the Kiwanis’ charitable projects
Pellatt The Plunger
Casa Loma and its rich former owner have had a less-than-savoury reputation in the press at times; ever since its construction in 1914, Casa Loma was criticized for its size and castle-like demeanour, and Pellatt was accused of having delusions of grandeur. Judith Robinson wrote in a 1931 issue of The Globe and Mail that she felt it was a “humorous commentary on the state of civilization in this city in the early 20th Century…it should be kept intact as an awful example of local artistic immaturity. It should be stuffed and mounted like a five-legged elephant.”
Notably, while Casa Loma may be the largest house ever built in Canada, it pales in comparison to the houses constructed by wealthy American Industrialists, such as Marble House – which needed a budget of 11 million dollars to construct (Casa Loma needed “only” 3.5 million).
In the meantime, Pellatt did not fare too well either. Eventually to fall to financial ruin, Pellatt was nicknamed The Plunger early on, and it was written in a 1920s MacLeans that “he was looking for it…so there was no use shedding tears over his probable fate”. His massive art and furniture collection was also (falsely) touted as being nothing more than a collection of fakes.
After Pellatt went bankrupt, plans were made successively to make the structure a home for war veterens, a war museum, a high school, a convent, a monastery, a hq for the Orange Order , a club for wealthy men, and even a home for the Dionne Quintuplets. It became a night club for a short while and then a luxurious hotel for a shorter while, before it finally became a tourist spot.
The Garden Room: View the gardens from this 3rd floor vantage point.
Servant’s Room: Up a few steps from the landing is a typical servant’s room.
The Lower Level
Gift Shop: The three arches in this room were laneways for Sir Henry’s proposed bowling alleys. A shooting range was to have been installed on the other side of the wall but was never completed.
Sir Henry’s Cafe: Originally designed to be Sir Henry’s private exercise room, it was to be filled with the latest of the turn-of-the-century equipment.
Swimming Pool: The pool beneath the Conservatory was also never properly finished. The original plans called for the pool to be surrounded by cloisters, marble arches and gold swans around the edge. In fact, the pool and the entire basement of Casa Loma were used mainly for storage.
Wine Cellar: Ammonia and brine-filled pipes chilled the collection of nearly 1800 bottles of wine and champagne, Sir Henry’s drink of preference. It is interesting to note that the cellar is directly connected to Sir Henry’s study by a secret passage.
Tunnel to Stables: The stables are connected to the castle by an 800-ft. tunnel which runs 18′ below the ground.
The Stables: The horse stalls are constructed of mahogany while the floors are covered with Spanish tiles. The stables were made to store Sir Henry’s private horses that he used to ride them to hunt or even in war.
Carriage Room: Much of the carriage collection on display is on loan from the Powell family of Kettleby, Ontario.
Garage: Near the stalls, there is garage, where electric cars stored
Potting shed: is placed where plants in the beautiful garden came from, a large room where past and present Casa Loma gardeners plant material for use throughout the gardens
Thank you so much to Michael, who guide and take me to visit this Castle.Most beautiful picture in this article is photograph by Michael Gunawan, on February 2011 and May 2011.I wrote about Casa Loma in 4 parts:
- 1st part, Main Entrance, Main floor,
- 2nd part, The Second Floor,
- 3rd part, The Third Floor, Lower Level, and The Stables
- 4th part, Garden and it’s beautiful flowers